This is especially important if you’ve installed OpenSSH. You can follow these simple steps to change the root password on your jailbroken iOS device: Install Mobile Terminal
- Launch Cydia
- Tap on the Search tab
- Search for MobileTerminal
- Tap on MobileTerminal from the search results
- Tap on Install, followed by Confirm to install MobileTerminal on your device.
Change root passwordBy default password assigned by Apple is alpine.
- Launch the MobileTerminal app
- Type su root at the prompt and tap the return key
- Enter alpine and hit the return key.
- Then type passwd and hit the return key to change the password.
- You will be prompted to enter the new password twice. Enter it twice when prompted. (Note that your keypresses will not be displayed on the terminal screen for security reasons)
Change mobile passwordYou should also change the password of the mobile user, which is the regular user account on your device.
- Enter passwd mobile and hit the return key.
- You will be prompted to enter the new password twice. Enter it twice when prompted.